Have you ever seen an underwater photograph, depicting the coral reef maybe, or a school of vibrant fish swimming? Or perhaps, you have had the chance to snorkel or go scuba diving and been introduced to the beautiful underwater world of marine life. What many of us overlook as a form of art and fine art at that is underwater photography. We are aware that photography is art and that taking pictures of beautiful landscapes captures people and often sell for hefty price tags. But what about the beautiful landscape that can be found under the sea?
Underwater photography is indeed categorized as an art form and photos often show the beauty of shipwrecks, coral reefs, different marine life and cave systems to name a few. What many of us may not realize is that being a underwater photographer and a fairly good one at that, is a lot harder than we may think. Akima, an underwater photographer and friend of mine shared that the biggest hurdle is the lighting? Why? The waves of sunlight that stream down onto the surface of the water are absorbed so everything appears blue and green. Akima, who offers photography and snorkeling tours on the island of Oahu, explained that many times travelers enjoying one of her snorkeling tours will be mesmerized by the beauty that can be found underneath the surface of the water. They aim their underwater cameras thinking they can capture the exact image and often find that the picture just doesn’t do the view as much justice as it deserves. She explains the way the sun’s rays are affected by the water and provides these tips:
Tips To Capture Beautiful Underwater Pictures
- Get as close to the subject of your photo as possible
- Use a flash so that you can help to restore some of the color that was lost when the sunlight was absorbed by the water.
- Use flash in “forced flash” mode
- For best composition- shoot at an upward angle never downward
- Get comfortable with diving/snorkeling and fine tune your skills before setting out to photograph
- Try setting your camera at the highest resolution and the lowest ISO when starting out
- To use natural light only shoot in 20ft of water or less
- If your photos didn’t come out as sharp as you would like, try checking your shutter speed
- You can either purchase an underwater digital camera or a special case that can go around your regular camera to make it waterproof
Continue reading “The Beauty Of Underwater Photography”
Introducing the ink blot, another form of art that is interpreted by the viewer viewing it. For example I may see a picture in an ink blot I’m shown while another person may see a completely different picture! That again is the beauty of art and perspective. However, what if we told you that not only are people’s perspectives different but what they see in that blot of ink often gives insight into their personality and the functionality of their mind? I’m sure many if not all of you readers have heard of the inkblot test often given to psychiatric patients and those with mental disorders. The test by way of proper name is referred to as The Rorschach Test. Many of you may have heard of it and know some details, but I’m sure a lot of you, like my self aren’t completely familiar with exactly where this test came from and how it exactly measures mental stability! We compiled some interesting facts and information about The Rorschach Test and it’s perspective into the minds of others.
Inkblots & Rorschach Testing
- The test is done by analyzing a subjects perception of the inkblots shown by using a scale of psychological evaluation
- The test consists of 10 inkblots-5 in black & 5 in color
- The test was widely used in the 1940’s & 1950’s
- The test is believed to be derived from the game Blotto, a popular came that consisted of making up poems or playing charades based on the inkblot picture you chose
- In 1911 the term Schizophrenia was founded making way for Hermann Rorschach introduction of the inkblot test
- Hermann realized that patients with schizophrenia responded differently to the Blotto came, thus helping him come up with The Rorschach Test
- The test is not as commonly used in this day and age, however it has adapted to also measure personality traits
- The test was not invented to measure personality & thus there is much controversy over if the test really gives accurate results for both mental disorders and personality
The Rorschach Test has become more and more controversial over the years because of the different scale systems that the testing measurements are based on. There are at least 5 different measurement scales that can be used to read the inkblot test and many argue that that wide range of measurement can not be completely accurate. We have found that art and pictures are often interpreted differently by each individual person and that the individual mindset and personality of each person influences what they invision. Although The Rorschach Test may have some discrepancies we believe that those people with different mental conditions or schizophrenia often do interpret art differently. Why? Because their brains are wired differently and they function on a different level. Although the test may not be as accurate as we had hoped or believed in the 40’s and 50’s I think it is pretty safe to say that often the perspective of people does help describe who they are and what some of their personality traits may be. Art is a world without boundaries and is to be deciphered by those seeing it. Isn’t that after all some of what makes art so beautiful? It allows you to take a deeper look inside yourself and explore your imagination and creativity.
Dr. Seuss is a well known children’s author and illustrator that is loved by many. In fact most of us probably grew up listening to his books being read to us as bedtime stories or reading and exploring the pages of his illustrations ourselves. Dr. Seuss, born Ted Seuss Geisel, had a knack for painting & drawing pictures that not only had bright colors and creative looking creatures, but also the ability to stand out in people’s minds. Readers not only coveted his uniquely told stories but also the artwork that went with them! Why? Because his art was something out of the norm and really got your imagination flowing. This is exactly why we have chosen to feature the great Dr. Seuss in this article! He took art and manipulated it with his own individuality, imagination, and perspective and in doing so he created a legacy that will forever stand throughout time & history. He was a man who went against the norm, which many people especially in the early 1900’s , weren’t quite sure about. He opened up a world of art and beauty that most of us could never imagine. Like we have said before in previous articles, pictures & any form of art holds more beauty and meaning than just meets the eye. The beauty that can be seen is interpreted by the viewer and can be different things for different people. After All isn’t that what art is all about!
Interesting Dr. Seuss Facts
- He often used antlers, bills, horns and such from zoo animals who had died to create unique taxidermy sculptures
- Dr Seuss graduated from Dartmouth College and also worked on the colleges magazine as an editor & contributor
- He got kicked off the college magazine after he was caught with alcohol during the prohibition! He refused to stop submitting his contributions and instead did so under the name T. Seuss. This is what helped lead him to his pen name Dr. Seuss
- His classmates at Dartmouth actually voted him less likely to succeed, he got the last laugh there didn’t he!
- He created a bug spray campaign with his quirky art and it was one of the most successful advertising campaigns of his time, lasting 17 years!
- In 1937 he published “And To Think I saw It On Mulberry Street” is VERY first children’s book.
- The book however, was rejected more than 20 times for being to “out of the norm” and he was going home to burn before it finally was published.
- Dr Seuss has earned 2 Academy awards for his work
- After An embarrassing encounter with President Theodore Roosevelt on stage he adapted severe stage fright & refused to give TV interviews or speak in public.
- He is actually credited for inventing the word “nerd” which appeared in his book “ If I Ran The Zoo” in 1950
These are just a few of the many facts that give us a bit more insight into who Dr. Seuss was and where his passion came from. What we love about this author and artist, is that he ditched what normal was perceived as and was uncoventionally himself. He let his art and writing speak to his viewers and readers and in doing so opened up a whole new world of characters and art that we are lucky to be able to see and read. Cheers to you Dr. Seuss, may your legacy and legend live on for eternity.
As we discussed in previous articles, art can be found in many things besides just paintings, drawings and sculptures. As technology advances and we are rewarded with various ways to showcase art the definition of what art is has to evolve as well! That being said many still don’t deem graphic design as an actual form of art, but why exactly is that? Graphic designers need to possess certain skills in order to showcase great work and produce a scaled design of the image they are working towards. To some that may seem not that hard, however have you ever tried to produce a certain image on a much smaller or larger scale and print it without losing clarity, definition and the importance of the image? It’s actually a lot harder than it may seem!
Being that we find beauty in all forms of art we decided to explore the area of graphic design a bit more and some of the newest technological advances concerning it. Enter in Vehicle Vinyl Wraps!
We reached out to a vehicle vinyl wrapping company to try and understand the work and art that goes into their designs and also to better showcase their view on this form of art. Yes we said it again “ART”. One of the graphic design specialists that is employed with orlandoautowrap.com Jimmy, sat down with me and expressed his vision and passion for this type of artistic creativity. Although vehicle vinyl wrapping has gained more and more exposure over the past view years in all actuality it has been around for some time!
- What Exactly Is Vehicle Vinyl Wrapping? Just to be clear for those of you that aren’t to familiar we wanted to know the exact definition. Jimmy explained that a vinyl wrap is a large decal or design printed on special material through a large format printer? It is then applied to your vehicles paint surface and encompasses your vehicle in the chosen design,
- Can You Customize Your Design? Many wonder if they have to choose from pre-fabricated designs or if they can design their own custom print. The truth is you can completely customize your own vision. In fact if you are working with a talented graphic design artist like our friend Jimmy, sky’s the limit!
- What Makes This Form Of Art So Tough? Although like we mentioned above many feel that graphic design is easy because of the use of digital images and the aid of an computer that isn’t exactly so. Jimmy explained that there are a lot of different factors that go into getting the print just right. From door handles, angles, and other unique features on every automobile the decal must come out precisely especially when applying it to the said automobile and achieving the desired look.
- Best Form Of Advertsiment? We all know the importance of advertising and marketing for any business as well as the importance of establishing your brand and your company logo. Vinyl wrapping has been rated the best form of advertising per impression cost and reaches the widest demographic out there. That being said wouldn’t you want your design to be spot on?
All in all vehicle vinyl wrapping and graphic design is by far a form of art in its own right. One of my favorite things about art and where I feel the most beauty comes from is the fact that art has no boundaries for perspective and creativity! Get “out of the box” and explore the incredible world of all kinds of art.
As we first talked about, pictures hold so much more in their meaning than just the vision that you see. Different perspectives can be seen depending on the individual person viewing the picture. Thus a picture is worth a thousand words and is a form of art. Perhaps one of the most well known artist of this era is British Graffiti Artist Charles Banksy, known to most simply as “Banksy”. Who is Banksy exactly? The truth is is no one quite knows. When added to Times Magazine’s Top 100 List Of Most Influential People, he contributed a picture of himself with a recyclable paper bag over his head! Why such the anonymity? Many say it’s because he doesn’t fare well with the police because of his “vandalism” with graffiti, others say it adds to the buzz associated with his work, either way it works for him. He gave his last face interview in 2003 and the journalist described him as a “white male, around 28, with a scruffy yet casual look about him”. All in all his real identity just adds to his mystery and to the popularity that surrounds his art. Banksy however, doesn’t stop there!
No this talented “artist” is also a filmmaker and a political activist. Most often referred to as either an art genius or a vandal. He started his work in Bristol, England and quickly moved to cities such as Vienna, Barcelona, Paris, Detroit and San Francisco. He first started in the early 90’s as part of a street crew dubbed “Dry Bread ZCrew” with two other artists going by the names of Tes & Kato. Banksy soon realized on his own that in order to reduce the time it took to put up one of his graffiti pieces, thus having a better chance to fly under the authorities radar, he had to be faster. So what did he do? He came up with stencils which cut his work in half and now pieces only took about 25 minutes. Things like this set him apart from the rest. His passion for art and painting pictures that had more meaning than just what meets the eye made him loved by many, vanadal or not.
He soon established an organization he named “Pest Control” as to be able to authenticate his work. The term “the Banksy Effect” also came to play in 2006 to showcase how his influence helped to shed light on other street artists and their work.
If you haven’t seen Banksy’s work trust me when I say it is something you don’t want to miss. Simple artwork such as a little girl holding a heart shaped balloon, or rats racing around a clock that can be found in New York City to illustrate “The Rat Race” give raw emotion and zest to what is usually the ordinary. A spectacular artist with perhaps an even stronger legacy has been born. His creativity and out of the ordinary approach to what most deem art is just sets him farther apart from the rest. His work will be around for eras to come! Cheers to you Banksy you are an art force to be reckoned with.
Although the colors alone in this picture are beautiful, there is so much meaning that can be found in it as well. Here you see a group of people watching in wonderment as lava slowly flows into the ocean. The hot magma coupled with the salty ocean water creates sizzling steam that rises up into the air. Not only are you witnessing mother nature doing what she does you also are watching as new land is added onto this Hawaiian island. Afterall, how do you think the islands were formed? But it doesn’t stop just there! For the people of Hawaii, ones that are native to the land, have put down their roots there, or those simply interested in Hawaiian culture they see Pele The Goddess Of Fire hard at work!
While there are numerous different tales as to how Pele came to reside on the , one thing that holds true for all versions is Pele’s volatile and fierce temper. It is also believed that when the Volcano erupts it is pele showing her anger and baring her teeth. She is not here to make friends she is mad and her volcanic eruptions are expressing it so!
Another part to the legend of Pele that remains true no matter the tale you choose to believe, is taking a piece of her lava rock off of the island and to the “mainland”(the continental United States) will bring very bad luck and bad energy to you. While some choose to not believe this part of the tale, it is safe to say that hundreds of pieces of lava rock are mailed back to the islands each year. Seems that this so called myth may just be true! Want to know a little more about this fiery goddess?
Pele “The Goddess Of Fire” Facts
- More Than Just Fire- Pele is actually more than just the goddess of fire. She also is believed to be the goddess of wind, lightning, violence, dance & volcanoes
- Ka wahine `ai honua- Another of Pele’s given names, it means “the woman who devours the land” seems quite appropriate doesn’t it?
- Creator of the Islands- according to legend Pele is the creator of the Hawaiian islands, by the use of her fire and volcanic abilities
- Hale Ma’u Ma’u Crater- The name of the crater located on the Big Island of Hawaii where Pele resides.
- Take Offerings- You may always visit the crater where the goddess resides, however it is suggested that when paying your respect you bring offerings such as gin, flowers, & fruit
Part of the legend of this incredibly beautiful goddess goes as follows. Should you see a beautiful Hawaiian woman with long hair, or an elderly woman dressed in white with white flowing long hair and a white dog walking along the side of the road at night you must offer her a ride. For this is Pele in another form seeking the kindness and respect of strangers. Should she walk up to your house you should treat her with respect and offer her food. Why? In treating Pele with respect and kindness, or Aloha, she will favor you and protect your home and family should there be an eruption.
Pictures are a form of art captured in the moment. Looking at a picture and really seeing all that is encompassed in it’s image can speak to you and teach you new things continuously. Next time you glance at a picture, take a second and stop and really look at what you are seeing! There is a story behind every single one!
Welcome to our blog! Although many beautiful pictures can be found throughout the web, we wanted to create a site that not only showcased BEAUTIFUL pictures but one that also offered a bit more. With our blog we hope to showcase different pictures that depict nature’s beauty, love, relaxation, happiness, excitement and more. Pictures are not only wonderful to look at they can also speak to the person doing so! We hope that you enjoy our pictures, articles, and view on what the beauty of a picture can do for your spirit! CHEERS!